Friday 13 November 2009

How fish should be

I didn't go back home today. I cooked dinner in a far more usual way, calling PaPa just before I start, to make sure I'm doing it right. I was about to make the most simple, but also the most elegant fish to go with some dar. I thought I'd add it to the blog because it is so tasty and I should do it more often.

I had been to the dentist today. As I was still in some pain and my mouth was only just coming back to life I decided I wanted to eat the ultimate comfort food. Dhan Dar.

How to make Dhan Dar is going to have to wait for another post because tonight's dar was pulled out of the freezer (made by MKB who I had previously stolen it from) We normally have some kind of side dish when we have Dhan dar, if we're lucky dad makes prawn patio, but I like the fish just as much and this method is a house staple. So I pulled two thalapia fillets out the freezer too and defrosted them in water.

This dish can be made with any fish, but I like it with gentle white fish. Thalapia is perfect, it's a bit milky like bass or mullet and doesn't fall apart (actually I think it's quite like Bumla) AND I think it's on the sustainable fish to eat list too.

I rubbed on it a crushed half inch of ginger and a pressed clove of garlic.Then added chili powder and haldi, not too much, it was only about quarter of a teaspoon each. I rubbed the mixture all over the fish with the back of the teaspoon and a tiny drop of oil and sprinkle of salt to help it all spread around.

I had already called PaPa to tell him what I was up to. Mostly because not having a grill in Elephant I was undecided as to weather to oven bake or fry the fish. He recommended frying, suggested a dusting of flour to give it a little crust and told me a medium flame would be enough, 'Not too much heat or the flour will burn, nicely fry it. Bus'

I waited till R got home then put some rice on for him and heated the dar. The fish didn't take long to fry, I put a tiny bit more oil in the pan and then gave the fish about 2 minutes on one side, as the colour changed over the sides I turned them and gave another minute on the second side.


I always eat the fish before I start on the dar, as a kind of starter. In fact I had already eaten mine by the time R sat down and took the photo for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment